Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bullying - We are more than our respective traumas....

 Reduced me to tears....

A nice break from my personal experience to learn that we are not alone in our pain....

Amazing how powerful creativity is in communicating an idea. What really resonates with me in this piece is the complete eradication of self that results from trauma in this case, bullying. When someone has been traumatized or abused as a child, they never learn who they really are, only who their abusers tell them they are. I'm not even certain that little girl who was traumatized repeatedly as a child even exists any more, but  only now, or since my treatment began last Fall, am I beginning to learn who she became and what I need now because what I needed as a child was irrelevant.  I'm also beginning to learn "it's not so much about the pain as it is the beauty."

An inspiring, moving, and haunting spoken word piece about mental illness, depression, pain, loneliness, loss, identity, and bullying. Spoken word, for those unfamiliar with this unique genre of art, is a spoken poem sung without a melody but just as beautiful as any song. In a Canadian "Ted Talks" clip, Shane Koyczan is compelling and authentic in his creative rendering of the pain and the beauty of mental illness. Anyone who has ever experienced bullying or depression will be touched by his words. It is a twelve minute piece, but I guarantee you, it's worth every second. Just another sufferer of mental illness taking something painful and finding value in it, and finding a way to communicate it as honestly as possible to the world. I have so much admiration for this man.... love it!

"Art is a personal act of courage, something one human does that creates change in another." Godin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

DO IT ALL!!! NO REGRETS!!

Do the stuff people say you shouldn't. Do the stuff that seems impossible, silly, difficult, immature, irrelevant. We can creat...